Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Talkin' Teachin' Show!

I listen to A LOT of podcasts, so the idea of using them to teach was very intriguing to me, but the podcasts I listen to are mostly based around comedy and wouldn't really be appropriate for a classroom. So, I looked at the podcasts I listen to that aren't comedy based and tried to think if any of them could be used to teach, and the one I think could be most useful is called Stuff You Missed in History Class, and I think it could be used in many ways to help ESL students. 
The podcast is about lesser known stories from world history, and while I think in general it would be good practice for upper intermediate or higher students that were interested in it to listen to it for practice. If I were going to design a lesson, I think a good idea would be to use an episode like a recent one called, "The First Transatlantic Telegraph Cable." For the lesson I would take the podcast and divide the audio into four pieces, and have the students listen to only their section in groups. Then after the group had listen and summarized their segment of the audio they would have to talk with the other groups to put the segments in the right order to tell the story. 
This exercise would be good for helping student to improve their listening skills when listening to and summarizing the audio, as well as their speaking and cooperation skills when ordering the audio pieces. Of course this could be done with other episodes of this podcast or even with other podcasts that have some sort of a narrative form to them. I do realize that you would have to do this with upper level students, but I think the exposure to authentic language would be good for them.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool podcast! I will actually probably recommend this to some of my colleagues. I listed to the Great Courses all of the time. So cool. I liked your lesson idea and I am glad that you thought to tailor it to a certain age group based on their listening skill ability. Nicely done and again, great podcast choice!

    ReplyDelete