Sunday, October 16, 2016

Chat Twitter Chat

Regretfully I was not able to attend a Twitter chat live in person in time for me to write this post. Since I still wanted to find out more about the chats I decided to check out the hashtag #ELTChat anyways to see what people were talking about. I realize it's not the same as participating live, but I still got a good feel for how the discussion worked.
This weeks discussion for #ELTChat on Twitter was pronunciation and how to make teachers comfortable teaching it.  Looking through the tweets I could see that there was a lot of people participating and it was a little bit difficult to parse through it all, however I think I was still able to find some good advice and interesting resources.One resource that I found was an interesting website that offered an array of warm-up activities that may help with pronunciation.
Of course I think the most helpful thing was just seeing the short but useful pieces of advice people would give about teaching pronunciation.  For example one user had three short tweets that talked about teaching how we stress words when speaking which was an aspect of pronunciation that I really hadn't considered much.
The only aspect of this Twitter chat that I wasn't particularly fond of was that it seemed to be made up mostly of British English language teachers so they were talking a lot about certifications and tests that I had no reference for.  That being said I can see how this would be a very useful tool and I hope that I have the chance to actually participate in one in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you weren't able to attend one and I recommend you try in the future. I am glad you popped in an took away what you could from the hashtag you did.

    ReplyDelete