Friday, October 28, 2016

Fun With Flipping!

After reading the two articles on flipping, Three reasons to Flip You Classroom, and Flipping Your EL Classroom, I came away really liking the idea of flipping. It seems like having more time to work with student on material instead of just giving them the material and hoping they'll figure it out, is something that could really work.
What was more interesting to me is that I realized that I've been working with a version of flipping myself for a couple years. The online lessons that I teach are mostly designed to help students work with and practice material that they have already studied. When they get to class with me, it's my job to help them with any questions they have with the material and to show how the language they're studying is used in everyday conversation. 
I imagine the biggest problem with flipping is similar to one that I have in my classes, when students don't do the needed preparation for the lesson, so instead of working with the material you end up using class time explain it to them. Though, if we're being honest, no matter what technique you are using to teach there is always going to be unprepared students, so I don't think that's a good reason to not try flipping.

1 comment:

  1. I like your optimistic approach to flipping and it is fun when you find out you are kind of already doing something anyway! Yes, the biggest problem is when the students don't do the lessons ahead of time. That is the Achilles heel of the process. With younger students it can be harder to enforce and with older once it is easier but access is the one thing that is always a issue to consider as well. Overall, your attitude toward trying it is great and I would love for you to keep me posted about how things go!

    ReplyDelete